Field Trips Anywhere
CHO(HAN)Haejoang
Field Trips Anywhere
CHO(HAN)Haejoang

낸시 수업 실러버스

johancafe 2010.05.14 13:18 조회수 : 5468

EALC 285
South Korean Society Through Film (with a focus on family/gender)
Spring 2010

Nancy Abelmann
nabelman@illinois.edu
website www.nancyabelmann.com

Office Hours: Thursday, 11:30-1:30
418 Swanlund Administration Building
601 East John Street
Champaign, Illinois 61820
244-1867

Teaching Assisant:
Q-Ho Lee
getpearl@gmail.com
do you want to list a phone?

Hi!
I am excited about this class. The last time I taught it was 2003: except for one 1990s film, the oldest film I am using came out in 2004!! We will watch all of 6 features films and three documentaries. Important for you to know is that I am not a film scholar ? my training is as an anthropologist of contemporary Korea (and lately Korean America). This said, I appreciate films as their own distinctive mode of expression (like literature, social science, visual art etc.) and we will read both some general readings on film and some scholarship about film ? my hope is that some of you might be better trained than I am in the formal language of film. We are though lucky that there will be some graduate students joining us who have this training ? they will truly really enrich our conversation. The bulk of the readings for this course are the works of anthropologists and sociologists on contemporary South Korea. My hope is that in addition to learning things about contemporary South Korean social life (with a focus on family and gender) you will also learn a bit about the methods, theories, and challenges of contemporary social and humanistic scholarship. We will also query the potential and limits of employing films to understand social/cultural life.
This course has a very special feature: for March and part of April we will be coordinating with a course at Yonsei University ? an English language Anthropology Department course that is quite parallel in its themes. Two of your assignments will ask you to interview (in some digital format) students in that class and also I will ask you to participate in 2 videoconferences with the Yonsei class. The course is taught by my old friend and wonderful South Korean anthropologist Cho Han Haejoang. I think it will be fun to share films and readings with people your age in South Korea ? of course some of you have spent part/most of your childhoods in South Korea and your contributions will be great too!
I welcome all students to this class including those with no prior knowledge of South Korea or exposure to South Korean film.
A caveat: My hunch is that a number of you are already well-versed in contemporary South Korean cinema and that many of you are film buffs in your own right. You might be surprised at my film selection ? most of which are not necessarily block busters (although some are, The Host for example. I have chosen them foremost because I think they are instructive for thinking about gender/family in South Korea and also because I like them!
Reaching me
Email works (see above). Because I have a half-time administrative position, I have a secretary, Kelley Frazier: so you can always reach (or leave a message for) me by phone. I would prefer that you call ahead or email Kelley Frazier (kdfrazie@illinois.edu) and/or me if you plan to come to office hours ? that way we can schedule them so that folks don’t overlap.
Required Texts
Everything will be in PDFs available at URL.
Assignments (All of your assignments are to be posted in URL).
Interview reports: Twice you will be interviewing (possibly in pairs) Yonsei university students (assignments are also listed in the semester outline). You are to post 3-4 page (double spaced) reports on the interviews. These are NOT to be transcripts of the interviews but rather short essays that draw from the interviews and also that cite related readings from the semester. 2 x 10% = 20% Due dates: March 9 (English (learning+) history); April 8 (How did you end up at Yonsei? (They will interview you about how you ended up at the U of I)
Reading notes: I have starred (*) 9 class meetings (see semester outline). You are to post 1-2 page (double spaced) responses to 6 of these. In your response you should refer to both readings (if there are two). Your response should include a short summary of the main argument/s of the reading/s, a consideration of the relationship of the readings to one another (if more than one), and your own response (i.e., what you find interesting about the reading/s, your own critical evaluation of their importance and/or the extent to which the writer has convinced you of her point, discussion of the reading in relation to earlier course readings and/or films). 6 X 5% = 30%
Film essays: You will watch 9 films in this class (although not all during class time). You are to write film essays (4-5 pages, double spaced) on 2 of the South Korean films (one film will be American) (if you would rather feature more than one film in an essay that is fine too). I am open to many different formats (you might focus on the movie as a whole, on just a scene or moment etc.), but in all cases, I want you to cite 3 or more readings from the syllabus (in a meaningful way). 2 X15% = 30%
Family “Portrait”: The students in both the U of I and Yonsei classes will make a “family portrait” by (carefully) choosing and annotating (i.e., commenting on) 4 images (these can, but need not be family photographs). Both films and ethnography (i.e., reports based on qualitative research/fieldwork), the key “texts” of this class, deal in representation (i.e., the selection of images/moments/vignettes etc.) ? in this spirit, Professor Cho and I thought it would be great for all student to engage in a bit of auto-ethnography (this is an exercise that she has used before ? and we will be able to look at some of her examples). Your montage: 5%; your 1-2 page comment on one of the Yonsei montages, 5% = 10%. Due March 30
Class attendance and participation: This course relies on your doing the reading (outside of class) and in some cases watching the films outside of class as well. If you do not do this, your written work will likely be poor, you will get nothing out of the class, and you will your grade will be moved down one notch (i.e., A->B, B->C etc.). The course also relies on your speaking up ? I will not be lecturing. I do know that some people are more reticent to speak than others ? I will do my best to creative a supportive classroom environment in which all students feel respected and welcomed to participate. 10% (Includes group reading report due April 20)
Something about me
I am the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research (Humanities, Arts and Related Fields) and the Harry E. Preble Professor of Anthropology, Asian American Studies, East Asian Languages and Cultures, and Gender & Women’s Studies. I founded and co-direct the Ethnography of the University Initiative (EUI, www.eui.uiuc.edu). I have published books on social movements in contemporary South Korea (Echoes of the Past, Epics of Dissent: A South Korean Social Movement, 1996); on women and social mobility in post-colonial South Korea (The Melodrama of Mobility: Women, Talk and Class in Contemporary South Korea, 2003); on the Korean American community (Blue Dreams: Korean Americans and the Los Angeles Riots, with John Lie, 1995); and on South Korean film (South Korean Golden Age Melodrama: Gender, Genre, and Nation , with Kathleen McHugh, 2005); and on Korean American college students (The Intimate University: Korean American Students and the Problems of Segregation, 2009). Currently I am writing a book with psychologist Sumie Okazaki, Domestic Toil: How Korean American Teens and Parents Make Family Work, based on field research in Chicagoland.
Semester Outline
Developmentalism and South Korean Modernity
January 21, TH
Cumings, Bruce. 1997. “Korea Sun Rising, 1953-1996.” In Korea’s Place in the Sun: A Modern History. NY:W.W. Norton & Company. 299-336.
Moon, Seungsook. 2002. The Production and Subversion of Hegemonic Masculinity: Reconfiguring Gender Hierarchy in Contemporary South Korea. In Laurel Kendall, ed. Under Construction: The Gendering of Modernity, Class, and Consumption in the Republic of Korea (Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press). 79-113.
*January 26, TU
Haejoang, Cho. 2002. Living with Conflicting Subjectivities: Mother, Motherly Wife, and Sexy Women in the Transition from Colonial-Modern to Postmodern Korea. In Laurel Kendall, ed. Under Construction: The Gendering of Modernity, Class, and Consumption in the Republic of Korea (Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press). 165-195.
Abelmann, Nancy. 2003. When It’s All Said and Done… IN The Melodrama off Mobility: Women, Talk, and Class in Contemporary South Korea. Honolulu: University of Hawai’i Press. 240-280.
January 28, TH
Read for class, but we will not discuss until Feb 2:
Corrigan, Timothy. 2001. A Short Guide to Writing About Film (NY: Longman). (selection), 25-36.
(Watch in class)
FILM: My Mother the Mermaid (Director, (인어공주, 2004, 110min)

February 2, TU
Corrigan, Timothy. 2001. A Short Guide to Writing About Film (NY: Longman). (selection), 41-83.
Kim, Hyun Mee. 2001. Women, Nation and Hypermasculinity: The “Woman” Question in the Economic Miracle and Crisis in South Korea. Inter-Asia Cultural Studies. 2.1: 53-58 (selection).
Discuss: My Mother the Mermaid
“Korean” “Family”
*February 4, TH
Janelli, Roger L. and Dawnhee Yim Janelli. 1982. Families of the Twis?ngdwi Lineage.” In Ancestor Worship and Korean Society. Stanford: Stanford University Press. 28-57.
Cho, Uhn. 2005. Gender Ineqaulity and Patriarchal Order Reexamined. Korea Journal 44.1: 22-41.
Chung, Woojin and Gupta, Monica Das. 2007. The Decline of Son Preference in South Korea: The Roles of Development and Public Policy. Population & Development Review. 33.4: 757-783
*February 8, TU
Cho, John. 2009. The Wedding Banquet Revisited: “Contract Marriages” between Korean Gays and Lesbians. Anthropological Quarterly 82: 401-422.
Kim, Eleana. 2007. Our Adoptee, Our Alien: Transnational Adoptees as Specters of Foreignness and Family in South Korea. Anthropological Quarterly 80.2:497- 531.
Song, Jesook. Forthcoming. Housing Difficulties for Unmarried Women. In A Room of One’s Own: The Spatialization of Liberal Subjectivity in Neoliberal South Korea. 45-65.
*February 11, TH
Kelly H. Chong. 2006. Negotiating Patriarchy: South Korean Evangelical Women and the Politics of Gender. Gender Society 2006; 20; 697-724.

Corrigan, Timothy. 2001. A Short Guide to Writing About Film (NY: Longman). (selection) 7-18, 105-108, 116-121.
CLIP: Miryang (info)

February 16, TU
(Watch on your own before class)
FILM: Fairwell, My Darling (PARK Chul-soo, 학생부군신위, 1996 110min)

Yi, Hyangsoon. 2007. Reflexivity and Identity in Park Chul-soo’s Farewell, My Darling. In Frances Gateward, ed. Seoul Searching: Culture and Identity in Contemporary Korean Cinema. Albany: State University of New York Press. 141-156.

Nancy will leave class at 2:40

Family, Class, and the State
February 18, TH
Nelson, Laura. 2000. Finance and Space: Mobility and the Real Estate Market and Special Places” Neighborhoods, Memories, Movement. In Measured Excess: Status, Gender, and Consumer Nationalism in South Korea. 51-68.
Youngshik Bong and Katharine Moon, “Rethinking Young Anti-Americanism in
South Korea,” in Ivan Krastev and Alan McPherson, eds., The Anti-
American Century (Budapest, Hungary: Central European University Press,
2007). 77-108.
February 23, TU
(Watch in class)
FILM: Host (Director Bong Jun-Ho 괴물, 2006, 119min)

Jung, Ji-youn. 2008. Interview with Bong Joon-ho (on Host). Korean Film Directors: BONG Joon-ho. Seoul: Korean Film Council. 125-158.
Lee, Nikki J. Y. 2008. The Host (review). Journal of Science Fiction Film and Television. 1: 2.
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/science_fiction_film_and_television/v001/1.2.lee.html

February 25, TH
Discuss: Host
Globalization and English
*March 2, TU
Park, Joseph. 2009. The English Language in South Korea: History, Politics, and Sociolinguistics. In The Local Construction of a Global Language: Ideologies of English in South Korea. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. 29-56.
CLIP: Please Teach me English (Date, etc.)
YONSEI PARTNERSHIP BEGINS
*March 4, TH
Giddens, Anthony. 2000. Family. How Globalization is Reshaping our World. NY: Routledge. Pp. 69-84.
Park, So Jin and Nancy Abelmann. 2004. Class and Cosmopolitan Striving: Mothers’ Management of English Education in Korea. Anthropological Quarterly 77.4: 645-672.
March 9, TU
PAPER DUE: Yonsei Interview #1: English (learning+) history
*March 11, TH
Kim, Hyun Mee. 2004. Feminization of the 2002 World Cup and Women’s Fandom. Inter-Asia Cultural Stuides 5.1: 42-51.
Family Portraits
March 16, TU
NO DAYTIME CLASS
FILM Little Miss Sunshine OR Ice Storm OR Ordinary People (not decided yet ? any suggestions of a film that is an interesting portrait of a contemporary “American” family?)

7 p.m. VIDEO CLASS WITH YONSEI STUDENTS #1

March 18, TH
NO CLASS

March 30, TU

(Watch In Class)
FILM: My Father’s House (아버지의 집, 3회 여성인권영화제, 조윤경, 55 min)

Family “Portrait” due

April 1, TH

(Watch in Class)
FILM: Sadangdong +22 (사당동+22, 2009, 90min)

FILM: Trouble the Water (INFO)

7 p.m. VIDEO CLASS WITH YONSEI STUDENTS #2

Neolberalism (IMF), Youth, Class, Family, Cosmpolitanism

*April 6, TU

Cho, Joohyun. 2009. Neoliberal Governmentality at Work: Post-IMF Korean Society and the Construction of Neoliberal Women. Korea Journal Autumn: 1-29.

Park, Hyunjoon. 2007. Inequality of Educational Opportunity in Korea by Gender, Socio-Economic Background, and Family Structure. The International Journal of Human Rights. 11, 1-2: 179-197.
*April 8, TH
Seo, Deok-Hee. Forthcoming. Homeschooling Adventures of the Middle Class. In Nancy Abelmann, Jung-ah Choi and So Jin Park, eds. No Alternative?: Experiments in South Korean Education. Berkeley: Global, Area, and International Archive / University of California Press, 2010.
Kim, Hyun Mee. 2001. Women, Nation and Hypermasculinity: The “Woman” Question in the Economic Miracle and Crisis in South Korea. Inter-Asia Cultural Studies. 2.1: 58-68 (selection).
April 13, TU
FILM: Family Ties (가족의 탄생, 2006, 113 min)
Kim Aeran (trans. Kevin O'Rourke) 2007. Run, Dad! Azalea: Journal of Korean Literature & Culture 1: 227-239.

OPTIONAL 7 p.m. VIDEO CLASS WITH YONSEI STUDENTS #3
April 15, TH
Paper due: YONSEI INTERVIEW #2: How did you end up at Yonsei? (They will interview you about how you ended up at the U of I)
Discuss Yonsei Interview #2 (Nancy gone)
Multiculturalism and (education) Migration
April 20, TU
Kim, Hyun Mee. 2007. The State and Migrant Women: Diverging Hopes in the Making of “Multicultural Families” in Contemporary Korea. Korea Journal. Winter: 100-122.
Student Reading Report (in groups) (each group will prepare on 1 reading):
Paik, Young-Gyung. Manuscript. “Not-Quite Korean” Children in “Almost Korean” Families: The Fear of Decreasing Population and State Multiculturalism in South Korea.
Choo, Hae Yeon. 2006. Gendered Modernity and Ethnicized Citizenship: North Korean Settlers in Contemporary South Korea. Gender & Society. 20.5:576-604.
Kim, Eunjung. 2008. Minority Politics in Korea: Disability, Interraciality, and Gender. In Emily Grabham and Davina Cooper, eds. Intresectionality and Beyond: Law, Power and the Politics of Location. Taylor & Frances.
Cheng, Sealing. Manuscript. Sexual Protection, Citizenship, and Nationhood: Prostituted Women and Migrant Wives in South Korea.
April 22, TH
(Watch in Class)
FILM: Seri and Harr (세리와 하르, 2008, 91 min)

April 27, TU
FILM: Flying Penguins (날아라 펭귄, 2009, 110 min)
(Watch in class)
FILM: Who Killed the Goldfish (2009, 11 min)

May 4, TU
OPEN, Wrap up

2010-03-18