john cho (a letter of affiliation)

johancafe 2010.05.14 13:32 조회수 : 2102

March 1, 2007

The IDRF Program
Social Science Research Council
810 Seventh Avenue, 31st Floor
New York, NY 10019

Dear Selection Committee:

This letter is to confirm the full support of the Department of Culture and Gender Studies at Yonsei University, Seoul, for John (Song Pae) Cho as he conducts fieldwork for his dissertation project in Seoul, South Korea, from July 2007-July 2008.
I first became acquainted with John when I advised him as an M.A. student in the Master’s Program in Culture and Gender Studies at Yonsei University from 2001-3. He was the first student to graduate from our program and we are excited to see him progress in his academic career. I have continued to work with him on a joint Wenner-Gren International Collaborative Research Grant with his present advisor, Prof. Nancy Abelmann, of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
His dissertation project, “Gay” in the Wired Era: The Making of a Korean Gay Cyberculture, is of great interest to faculty members and students in our program, which focuses, in part, on new forms of popular culture in South Korea. His topic, in particular, is ground-breaking within Korean Studies in addressing a long-taboo subject in South Korea?(homo)sexuality?in articulation with discourses of technology and nation.

To make his stay in South Korea as productive as possible, we will arrange for him to have the office space and access to Yonsei University facilities, including the library. We will also arrange talks and lectures where he will have the opportunity to share his research with the wider Korean academic community. Finally, I look forward to collaborating with John on more joint projects.

Yours truly,

Cho Han Hae-joang
Professor in Culture and Gender Studies and in Sociology

2007-03-05